Straight and white teeth are crucial elements of a bright smile. However, some people just cannot achieve the ideal teeth color even with teeth whitening treatment because the initial color is too dark. Some may have unevenly shaped teeth or a large gap between teeth. These problems can all be hindrance to showcase a confident and dazzling smile.
Veneers are just like artificial nails, they can quickly fine-tune the shape, spacing, length and color of the teeth to achieve straightening and whitening effects.
A veneer is a thin covering of porcelain shell placed over a tooth. Veneers can be used to correct multiple problems like teeth that are injured, chipped, stained, unpleasantly looking, or teeth spacing that are slightly uneven. Veneers are mostly made of porcelain, which are semi-transparent. After a veneer is placed, the color of the natural tooth can still be revealed, leaving the tooth to look natural and beautiful.
Procedures of Veneer Treatment
1. Consultation: The dentist will make sure the patient is suitable for veneer by checking their teeth condition or getting an X-ray. (Before getting a veneer treatment, it is important to make sure your teeth and gums are healthy. If scaling is not practiced regularly, there may be redness in gums or even periodontal disease. Healthy gums can act as protection during veneer application. Therefore, scaling and periodontal disease treatment must be done beforehand. When the gums are fully healed and healthy, veneer treatment can then be done.)
2. Teeth Grinding: The dentist will remove a small amount of enamel from the tooth surface (around 5mm) and grind the tooth a bit shorter (around 1mm). This makes room to place the veneer. Then, a mold or photo will be taken to customize a veneer that fits your tooth. It usually takes 2-4 weeks and a temporary veneer will be used in the meantime.
3. Placement: The dentist will check the fit and color of the veneer and make relevant adjustments for perfect fitting. Using the acid etching technology, the veneer that sized 0.5-0.7mm will be cemented on the tooth with Dental Adhesives.
4. Follow-up: A follow-up appointment will be arranged few weeks after the treatment, to check the gum condition and the position of veneer.
Benefits of Veneer
– Compared with other dental restoration treatments, it can restore beautiful straightened teeth in a shorter period of time
– Compared with other dental restoration treatments, the area of ground teeth is significantly smaller
– The material of veneer can resist stains caused by coffee, tea and other food
Who are Suitable for Veneer?
– Patients with discolored teeth: Some people may have teeth that appear more yellow due to root canal treatment, consumption of Tetracycline, or simply born with yellowish teeth. When they cannot obtain a satisfactory result from teeth whitening treatment, or the discoloration reaches a moderate to severe level, veneer treatment can be considered a solution.
– Patients with worn teeth
– Patients with fractured teeth
– Patients with unpleasantly shaped teeth (e.g. too small or teeth with bumpy surface)
– Patients with large teeth gap who do not want to undergo orthodontic treatment
– Patients who still have slightly flawed teeth after orthodontic treatment
Case Study of Veneer